Backband and thigh strap kits
Backband and thigh strap kits
2023 Summer Sale 50% Off!
Add comfort, performance, and control to your Alpacka Raft with a backband and/or thigh strap kits.
Please read the descriptions below as we have several options available depending on your paddling experience and needs.
We now offer in-house retrofit installation of Kit #6 (Backband & Thighstraps) on existing Alpacka Series packrafts. If you’re interested in this option please visit our Repair and Upgrade Service page.
NOTE: These kits do not come with installation instructions. You will also need glue to install them.
Upgrade the comfort and performance of your packraft with a backband and Alpacka Raft's Patented 4-point thigh straps. The custom foam backband is specifically designed for packrafts an weighs only 182grams.
Alpacka Raft's patented 4-point thigh straps offer significantly better control, comfort, and rolling ability than a standard 2-point thigh strap and are the lightest and most compact thigh straps available. Please read the descriptions below carefully as we have several different options depending on your boat setup and paddling needs:
- Option 1 – Backband Only (For Boats with Preinstalled D- Rings): The custom foam backband is a perfect upgrade for improving back support and comfort regardless of whether you are a flat water or whitewater paddler. The backband is compatible with packrafts that have D-Rings installed in the hip area and strap plates installed in the stern, including all 2017 Alpacka Series Models. If you do not have pre-installed D-Rings, you can get them with Option 2 ‘Backband with D-Ring Attachment Kit’
- Option 2 – Backband with D-Ring Attachment Kit (Self Install):This kit includes both the custom foam backband and `1-inch stainless D-Rings attached to a 4-inch diameter base that you can self install with a quality urethane compatible glue. You will need this kit to install a backband in any of the pre-2017 boats (other than 2016 self bailer models).
- Option 3 – Thigh Straps Only (For Boats with Preinstalled 4-point Attachments and Backband) 4-point thigh straps are compatible with all 2016 Self Bailers and 2017 Whitewater Series models. The straps come standard on all 2017 Whitewater Series Models, so you should only purchase these if you lost your set or want a spare. If you do not have one of these models, you will need to select the ‘Thigh Strap with Attachment Kit’ (Option 4) or ‘Backband and Thigh Straps with Attachment Kit’ (Option 6) which include self install attachment points. Please tell us in your order notes which model you are buying these for so that we can make sure to give you the correct buckles.
- Option 4 – Thigh Straps with Attachment Kit (Self Install) This kit includes both the 4-point thigh straps and the attachment points for the top two points and the ankle attachment, which you can self install with a quality urethane compatible glue. The kit does not include the hip attachment points as the thigh straps should be used with a backband and attached to the backband attachment points at the hips.
- Options 1 + 3 – Backband and Thigh Straps Set (For Boats with Preinstalled 4-point Attachments) Includes both the custom foam backband and 4-point thigh straps, but no attachment points. The set is compatible with the attachment points on 2016 Self Bailers and 2017 Whitewater Series Models. Both the backband and thigh straps come standard on all 2017 Whitewater Series Models, so you should only purchase these if you lost your set or want a spare. If you do not have one of these models, you will need to buy one of the options that include self install attachment points. Also, please tell us in your order notes which model you are buying these for so that we can make sure to give you the correct buckles.
- Option 6 – Backband and Thigh Straps Set with Attachment Kit (Self Install) This kit includes everything you need except the glue to install a backband and our 4-point thigh straps in a packraft that doesn’t have any preinstalled attachment points. The kit includes the backband, thigh straps, D-Ring hip attachments, top attachments, and ankle attachments.
WARNING Installing thigh straps in your packraft has the potential risk of serious injury and death, including but not limited to impairing your ability to exit the packraft in the event of a capsize. Consult and follow all precautions and warnings in the Alpacka Raft Owner’s Manual and Safety Warning prior to beginning your packrafting adventures.
Please contact us if you are unsure which kit to get.