Basecamp Finland - June 14-20 / 2020
Sunday 14th to Saturday 20th June, 2020.
We are stoked to be returning to Basecamp, and the Oulanka National Park in Finland for 2020. It is such an incredible packrafting destination. Join us for 7 days of expedition style whitewater packraft training within the Arctic Circle.
The Oulanka National Park is known by many for it rugged landscape, impressive waterfalls and the legendary Karhunkierros Trail, (one of Finlands most famous hiking trails). Though the area is lesser known as a paddling destination, dont let this fool you. It has some amazing waterways and whitwater rapids ranging from from easy class I to the impressive class V Jyrävä Falls (dont worry we will portage this one ;)
This is an opportunity to learn whitewater packrafting expedition skills in a stunning location. Throughout you will be learning new skills from refining your paddling technique, reading whitewater, whitewater rescue skills, bushcraft, expedition skills and more.
River info: Long flatwater sections, lake crossings and whitewater sections up to class 2+. More difficult whitewater sections will be portaged.
Total Distance: 90KM (55KM Hiking / 35KM Packrafting)
Participants are limited to 8 people. Minimum of 4.
Instructor / Guide: Seon Crockford-Laserer (owner of Packraft Europe). Seon has many years experience as an expedition leader and outdoor guide, and holds the following certifications: 200GT Commercial Yacht Captain / NOLS, Wilderness First Responder / Rescue 3, Whitewater Rescue Instructor / IRF Raft Guide and IRF Inline Raft Trip Leader.
English will be the spoken language during the expedition.
- Be physically fit and able to carry a 20kg backpack for 20kms hiking.
- Be able to swim.
Itinerary: 7 days, 6 nights
- 4 nights wild camping.
- First night & last night staying at Basecamp Lodge (hot showers, Finnish sauna and home cooked meals).
Arrival and Departure Airport: Kuusamo Finland.
- Accommodation and meals during the expedition.
- Guide, River and National Park fees.
- Flights or any associated travel costs.
- Insurance costs.
- Alcohol or drinks at camp grounds or purchased during the expedition.
- Snacks or extra food or any extras purchased during or for the trip.
- Personal gear or packrafting equipment. (Can be rented or purchased from Basecamp or Packraft Europe).
Personal Gear: Participants to bring there own cooking, camping and hiking equipment.
Packrafting Rental: (Onsite at Basecamp, Oulanka).
- Packraft and paddle: 7 days. 1st day 45€, days 2-7 25€/day. PFD and helmet included
- Drysuits: 7days. 20€ / Day