The Alpacka Caribou
Originally designed as bikerafting model, the Caribou is also extremely versatile and ideal as a full sized ultralight packraft. It combines lots of space with minimal weight and packs up small and compact, easily fitting in the back of your car, on the train, in your backpack and of course on the handlebar of your bike! It is always ready for those quick adventures when you need a full sized packraft but not the weight and bulk.
Combining light and durable tubes with a full strength 840d ballistic nylon floor and Alpacka's innovative Late Rise Bow, the Caribou is the ultimate ultralight, ultra versatile front end loader. With the Open configuration weighing only 2.15kgs, the Caribou is one of the lighestest full size packrafts on the market and is perfect for those trips when a little extra space in needed for your bike, extra gear, four legged friend, children or that person in your life that just needs a little more time outdoors in nature ;)
For many years, the only way to carry your gear on large, multi-sport packraft adventures was either inside the boat on the floor, or mounted to the bow. However, in 2011, Alpacka changed the game completely when they invented the Cargo Fly internal gear storage system. This design not only kept your gear drier, it also dramatically increased handling and whitewater performance. However, it didn’t solve the problem of carrying large bulky items like bicycles and large frame packs on the bow.
Welcome the Caribou with the Late Rise Bow that combines the stability and load carrying ability of a rockerless hull with the whitewater and wave performance of a rockered hull. Unlike anything else on the market, the Late Rise Bow still provides a rocker to shed waves and whitewater, but it moves beginning of the rocker in front of the bow’s mounted load. The result is a broad stable platform for mounting bulky and heavy items like bicycles that carries them high and keeps them out of the water when paddling. And, the load remains balanced and stable on both water and land.
To keep the weight and bulk at an absolute minimum, while preserving Alpacka's legendary durability, utilizing the same lightweight 210-denier high count nylon fabric as the Scout and the 840-denier floor featured in other Alpacka packrafts. The result is an ultralight, full-size bikeraft or ultralight adventure raft that rolls up small for stashing in a pack or on your handlebar roll.
Alpacka Caribou - Best Use:
- Bikerafting & touring
- Flat water paddling, lakes and easy river tours
- Easy whitewater tours (up to class 2)
- Urban Packrafting
- Canyoneering, exploration, micro adventures
- Fast packing, adventure races, geocaching
- Adventures when small and ultralight gear matters most
- Great for the kids and family fun at the lake and sea
- When a little more space is needed for bike, dog, kids, packs, fishing
- Lightweight sailing boat dingy
Alpacka Caribou - Features:
- Manufacturing: Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Classic Hull with Late Rise Bow
- Tube Diameter: 11.7-inch
- Colours: Cedar Green, Red, Blue Berry
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow strap plates, 2 stern grab loops, and 1 bow handle
- Seating: Classic Seat Bottom
- Build Configurations: Open
- Cargo Fly: Optional (zippered internal dry bags sold separately)
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit. T Zip lube is included with boats that come with a Cargo Fly
Alpacka Caribou - Materials:
- Hull: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with a lightweight pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA). This is the same fabric used in the Alpacka Scout, which optimizes packability and weight savings while maintaining sufficient tear strength for the Caribous intended uses.
- Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
- Seat: 200-denier oxford nylon, with single side polyurethane laminate (Made in USA).
- Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured by Alpacka Raft in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.
Alpacka Caribou - Build Configurations:
Open: The Open configuration is the simplest, lightest, and most economical build configuration. It’s perfect for anything where you don't need the extra performance of a self bailer.
- Cargo Fly Zipper: The Cargo Fly is the ultimate packraft gear storage solution featuring an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to load your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity. The Caribou does not feature buckle attachments inside the tubes to secure internal dry bags because the Caribou is not designed for significant whitewater use. However, you can purchase internal dry bags separately and use them with the Caribou without the buckles.
- Exterior Length - 246cm
- Exterior Width - 97cm
- Interior Length - 123cm
- Interior Width - 37cm
- Open Weight* - 2150grams
- Open Weight with Cargo Fly* - 2270grams
- Self Bailer Weight* - 2560grams
- Self Bailer Weight* with Cargo Fly* - 2680grams
- Open Packed Size** - 43x15cm
- Max Capacity*** 181kgs
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag and repair kit.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
***Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.