The Alpacka Refuge Lightweight Packraft is the ultimate urban and wilderness adventure packraft! Weighing only 2.49kgs! and packing down smaller than standard size packrafts it is perfect for single, multiday and multiweek adventures with equal parts walking and floating. It utilizes the same 10” hull as the newly redesigned Alpacka 2022 Scout, but also includes a standard Whitewater deck and cargo fly to fit enough gear for longer trips or multi day trips. When comparing the Refuge to the Classic, it is lightweight and compact, but doesn’t offer as much carrying capacity, durability, or stability as the classic. Experienced whitewater paddlers should be able to paddle the occasional Class III rapid in the Refuge, but whitewater and eddylines will be more difficult for novice paddlers. The Refuge is ideal for people wanting a lightweight packraft on hand at all times ready for adventure or for the experienced packrafter who can limit their pack weight to 25kgs for a 14-day trip.
Alpacka Refuge - Best Use:
- Hiking & touring
- Flat water paddling, lakes and easy river tours
- Easy whitewater tours (up to class 3)
- Urban Packrafting
- Wilderness Packrafting
- Canyoneering, exploration, micro adventures
- Fast packing, adventure races, geocaching
- Adventures when small and ultralight gear matters most
Alpacka Refuge - Features:
- Manufacturing: Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Classic Hull
- Tube Diameter:10 inch
- Colours: Cedar Green, Red
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 Bow Grab Loops, 2 Stern Grab Loops, 2 Strap Plates, and 1 Seat Toggle
- Seating: Classic Seat Bottom
- Build Configurations: Whitewater Deck
- Cargo Fly: YES (zippered internal dry bags sold separately)
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit. T Zip lube is included with boats that come with a Cargo Fly
Alpacka Refuge - Materials:
- Hull: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with a lightweight pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA). This is the same fabric used in the Alpacka Scout and Caribou, which optimizes packability and weight savings while maintaining sufficient tear strength for the Refuges intended uses.
- Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
- Seat: 200-denier oxford nylon, with single side polyurethane laminate (Made in USA).
- Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured by Alpacka Raft in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.
Alpacka Refuge - Build Configurations:
Whitewater Deck : The Refuge comes standard with the Whitewater Deck, our driest and warmest configuration. It is ideal for all water types in cool climates and the highest performance option for whitewater. The Whitewater Deck features a large kayak style cockpit and includes a one-piece PEX coaming, and an ultralight secure fitting spray skirt. Contact us if you need a XL or larger spray skirt tunnel size.
Cargo Fly Zipper: A standard option on the Refuge, the Cargo Fly is the ultimate packraft gear storage solution. It features an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to load your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity. The Cargo Fly is perfect for expeditions, whitewater performance, and keeping your gear dry in any conditions. Internal Dry Bags may be purchased separately and are designed to work with the Cargo Fly system. The bags clip in place along each side of the tubes with a side release buckle and allow for better organization and weight balance than placing the contents of your pack loose inside the Cargo Fly. They also act as additional balanced air chambers to make it easier to get to shore in the event of a puncture.
- Exterior Length - 219cm
- Exterior Width - 87cm
- Interior Length - 117cm
- Interior Width - 36cm
- Weight* - 2490grams
- Packed Size** - 38x18cm
- Max Capacity*** 113kgs
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, and repair kit. The Refuge base weight (without seat, backrest, coaming, and skirt) is 2.13kgs.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
***Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.