The Ghost is the lightest packraft in the Alpacka Raft lineup at 1020grams and utilizes the lightest materials and construction that will still perform on specialist missions like ultra-running, critical river crossings, and unexpected water on canyoneering expeditions.
How light is too light? This is a question that Alpacka has asked themselves over and over again during their decades of designing and building packrafts. The Alpacka standard packrafts utilize lightweight but extremely durable materials and construction methods, which can withstand many years of hard daily use. The Ghost was designed for those looking to sacrifice durability for weight—ultra-running, exploratory canyoneering, and unexpected water crossings.
The Ghost utilizes the same hull shape but 5cm shorter than the third generation (2021) Scout, which provides outstanding stability and tracking for such a small and ultralight packraft. Alpacka cut the weight to the practical minimum with a 70d ripstop nylon hull, 200d nylon floor and single seamtape construction. Weighing only 1020grams, you’ll barely even notice it in your pack.
The Ghost is not designed for more serious abuse from frequent use, down river travel, whitewater, or shallow rocky conditions, so please be advised when purchasing. Comparing the Ghost and the Scout, both are excellent boats for canyoneering and mountain lakes. However, we generally recommend the Scout for long term durability in those uses.
Alpacka Ghost - Best Use:
- When the absolute lightest packraft is needed
- Flat water paddling, lakes and easy river tours
- Ultrarunning, exploratory canyoneering
- Fast packing, adventure races
Alpacka Ghost - Features:
- Manufacturing: Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Classic Hull
- Tube Diameter:10 inch
- Colours: Black
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: Single grab loop on Stern
- Seating: No Seat. Scout Seat will fit in the Ghost, but does not have a toggle attachment.
- Build Configurations: Open
- Cargo Fly: NO
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit.
Alpacka Refuge - Materials:
Hull: Proprietary ultralight 70-denier high count nylon (Made in USA).
- Floor: Proprietary 200-denier nylon floor (Made in USA).
- Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured by Alpacka Raft in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.
Alpacka Refuge - Build Configurations:
Open : The Ghost is available only in the open build configuration. We are not offering spray decks or self bailing configurations for the Ghost as it is designed as a minimalist, ultralight boat. It is also not available with a Cargo Fly.
- Exterior Length - 213cm
- Exterior Width - 83cm
- Interior Length - 112cm
- Interior Width - 36cm
- Weight* - 1020grams
- Packed Size** - 28x13cm
- Max Capacity*** 102kgs
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, and repair kit. The Refuge base weight (without seat, backrest, coaming, and skirt) is 2.13kgs.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
***Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.