Alpacka Gnarmule XXL Whitewater Packraft
Alpacka Gnarmule XXL Whitewater Packraft
New for '23 is the GnarMule, an XXL version for taller paddlers. The GnarMule has been a popular custom option for a years, so Alpacka decided to make it available to everyone.
The GnarMule is the same build as the Mule, but has all of the elements of the Gnarwhal including a Backband, Thigh Straps, WW Foot brace and whitewater seating system (3/4 length seat and sleeve). The Mule’s long and wide hull provides fantastic stability and ample storage space, while the Gnarwhal features make this configuration a beast in whitewater.
It’s a perfect option for taller paddlers who are looking for a comfortable and capable whitewater packraft. The GnarMule is also a good choice for paddlers who want the versatility of a whitewater boat that also has extra leg room for a pet or kiddo on calmer waters.
The '23 whitewater models have a minor improvement to the Backband/ Thigh Strap attachment points, and the thigh straps are now mostly RF welded instead of the traditional method of stitching. The result is a lighter and more durable overall system for the backband and thigh straps.
Alpacka Gnarmule - Best use:
- Whitewater paddling up to class 4
- Paddling on calmer water where extra space and load capacity is required
- Versatile all round packraft for tall or XL paddlers.
Alpacka Gnarmule - Features:
- Manufacturing: Hand made by Alpacka Raft, in Mancos, Colorado, USA
- Shape: Rally Hull Tube
- Diameter: 11.7-inch
- Fit: One Size (See sizing and specifications below)
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow grab loops, 2 stern grab loops, 2 double D-Rings, 2 ankle loops, 2 multi-slot strap plates, and 2 strap plates
- Seating & Rigging: 3/4 Length WW Seat, WW Foot Brace, Adjustable Foam Backband, Patented 4-point Thigh Straps
- Build Configurations: Whitewater Deck & Self Bailer
- Cargo Fly: Standard (Internal Zippered Dry Bags sold seperately)
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit. T Zip lube is included with boats that come with a Cargo Fly
Alpacka Gnarmule - Materials:
Hull: Proprietary 210 & 420-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with a pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA).
- Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
Seating: 200-denier oxford nylon, with single side proprietary polyurethane film (Made in USA).
- Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured by Alpacka Raft in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus
Alpacka Gnarmule - Build Configurations:
- Self Bailer: The Gnarmule Self Bailer is perfect for warmer conditions, quick entry and exit, and anyone that prefers a self bailing setup. It is slightly slower than the WW deck version when punching through waves and small holes, but it tends to stabilize in these situations which helps boaters navigate through tricky spots. If you swim, no dumping is required and you can just self rescue right back in. The seating systems in the Self Bailer and Whitewater Deck are identical except the Self Bailer features a 18cm thick seat versus a 13cm thick seat on the Whitewater Deck.
- Whitewater Deck: The Whitewater Deck is ideal for staying warm in cold conditions and maximizing performance in difficult whitewater. The Whitewater Deck features a large kayak style cockpit, one-piece pex coaming, and an ultralight spray skirt. Because the Whitewater Deck will not fill with water when pushing through a wave or hole, it maintains more speed and can punch through larger waves and stickier holes than the self bailing configuration. The seating systems in the Self Bailer and Whitewater Deck are identical except the Self Bailer features a 18cm thick main seat versus a 13cm thick seat on the Whitewater Deck.
- Cargo Fly Zipper: The Cargo Fly internal storage system comes standard on the Gnarmule. Internal zippered dry bags may be purchased separately. The Cargo Fly features an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to store your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity. The optional dry bags clip in place along inside of the tubes with side release buckle and allow for better organization and weight balance than placing the contents of your pack loose inside the Cargo Fly. They also act as additional balanced air chambers to make it easier to get to shore in the event of a puncture.
Alpacka Gnarmule - Size:
- Boater Height6'2"-6'8" | 188-203cm
- Exterior Length100in | 254cm
- Exterior Width38.5in | 97cm
- Interior Length52in | 132cm
- Interior Width15.5in | 39cm
- Max Capacity*500lb | 227kg
*Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.
Alpacka Gnarmule - Specifications:
Whitewater Deck (WW)
- Build OptionWeight* 10.6lb | 4.8kg
- Packed Size** 20x8in | 51x20cm
Self Bailer (SB)
- Build OptionWeight* 8.9lb | 4kg
- Packed Size** 4kg20x7in | 51x18cm
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, repair kit, and internal dry bags for Cargo Fly.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.