Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter 4400 (70 Litre)
The Porter 4400 has been the ultimate in packrafting packs for a number of years now, more recently the 5400 has been gaining popularity due to its extra 15L capacity.
Used by more expedition packrafters than any other pack, from Alaska, to New Zealand to the Alps of Europe. The lightest weight, most durable, load carrying pack period.
HMG stripped down, dialed in and beefed up their 4400 Porter Pack. Built for passionate packrafters, mountaineers and multi-discipline adventurers. Though similar to smaller versions, this ultralight pack has a wider circumference, is made from burlier material and has additional elastic frame sheets that offer greater load carrying capacity. Weatherproof your pack by using HMG Dyneema® Composite Fabrics (formerly Cuben Fiber) Stuff Sacks.
HMG can custom fit this pack for skiers by adding reinforced fully-woven Dyneema® side panels, bottom and ski holsters. Add €100 and allow four weeks for delivery.
Add a Porter Stuff Pocket for some extra storage on the outside of the pack.
- Small 1078g
- Medium 1106g
- Large 1149g
- Tall 1157g
Load capacity: Up to 30 kgs
- Made in Maine
- Four external, vertical daisy chains for attaching Porter Stuff Pocket, Porter Water Bottle Holders, or extra gear for trip-specific customization
- Removable, contoured aluminum stays
- Dyneema® Hardline shoulder straps with 3/8” closed cell foam and spacer mesh
- Internal plastic frame sheet for added back panel support
- 1/4” foam back panel pad
- Compression System
- Roll-Top closure system with side compression straps for vertical compression
- Six side compression straps for horizontal compression
- Top Y-strap compression — Designed to secure gear
- Internal zippered pocket
- Dyneema® Hardline dual-density hip belt with 1/8” closed cell rigid foam, 1/4” closed cell foam and spacer mesh
- Dyneema® Hardline zippered pockets on hip belt with #5 YKK zipper
- Adjustable sternum strap with self-tensioning elastic
- Ability to stow two ice axes on daisy chains
- Proprietary seam sealing on all side seams and behind all sewn-on pack features
- Body: 150D Dyneema®/Poly hybrid
- Bottom: Double reinforced 150D Dyneema®/Poly hybrid
- Interior: 4400 cu. in. (70L)
- Top Circumference: 114.3cm
- Bottom Circumference: 95.3
- Height (fully unrolled): 97.8cm
- Back Width: 26.7cm
How to Choose a Pack Size
Your torso length, not your height, determines your pack size. We recommend the following to determine yours:
- Tilt your head slightly forward to locate the bony bump at the base of your neck. (This is your 7th cervical (or C7) vertebra).
- Using a flexible tape measure, have someone measure starting at that spot and running down along the curve of your spine.
- Place your hands on your hips so you can feel your iliac crest, which serves as the “shelf” of your pelvic girdle. (It’s the first hard thing you feel when you run your fingers down from the sides of your ribcage.) Position your hands so your thumbs are reaching behind you.
- Have your friend finish measuring at the point where the tape crosses an imaginary line drawn between your thumbs. This distance is your torso length.
- Small (38 – 43cm torso)
- Medium (43 – 48 torso)
- Large (48 – 53 torso)
- Tall (53 + torso)
- If your measurement falls right in between sizes (for example, if you have a 43cm torso, so you are right on the line between a Small and a Medium), we suggest you choose the larger torso size.